It’s the twelfth day of the 12 days of Christmas!
Now that you’ve exchanged gifts with family and friends and are basking in the afterglow of the holiday season, why not play Santa to a very deserving DC area shelter or animal rescue league? Please, keep the spirit of giving going by donating goods or cash to help with their wonderful work saving and bettering the lives of homeless, abused and abandoned animals.
We’d like to introduce you to Oldies But Goodies Cocker Rescue (OBG), located in DC, MD and VA. You may recognize OBG from our weekly Shelter Sunday features.
About Oldies But Goodies Cocker Rescue: Established in 1996, Oldies But Goodies Cocker Rescue (OBG) rescues, rehabilitates and rehomes cockers and spaniel mixes of all ages – although they always have an “honorary cocker” or two among them! Placing more than 300 dogs a year, OBG is committed to finding wonderful homes for dogs from shelters or from owners who can no longer care for them. They are an all-volunteer organization without a physical building/location, so they rely completely on a dedicated group of volunteers and fosters to help the dogs in their care. OBG is a 501(c)3 non-profit, which means your donations are deductible to the full extent of the law.
To rescue, rehabilitate and rehome cocker spaniels and spaniel mixes of all ages, while providing a positive experience for their community of adopters, volunteers and supporters.
OBG needs the following donations:
- Petsmart and Petco gift cards (they can always use these for grooming, food, and supplies)
- Grain-free or prescription dog food (not to sound picky, but their cockers are prone to allergies!)
- Advantix II flea/tick preventative (to avoid unwelcome bites from these tiny critters)
- Collapsible metal crates in good condition (these are lifesavers for many of their foster homes)
- Gas station gift cards (used for long distance trips to pick up dogs at rural high kill shelters)
- Postage stamps (nothing better than sending a handwritten, heartfelt note of thanks!)
- Unused holiday gifts – maybe you have something that’s not your size, color or taste? (OBG can always use new merchandise for fundraisers involving auction or raffle baskets.)
Since OBG does not have a physical location (such as a shelter), please contact them to arrange a drop-off. They do have volunteers (and adoption shows) in DC, MD and VA! Contact should be an email to email@example.com or call 703-533-2373 and leave a voicemail.
To make a monetary donation, donate securely on their web site via PayPal or send your donation by mail to PO Box 361, Newington, VA 22122. They can also take credit card donations over the phone. Please leave a voicemail at 703-533-2373 and they will return your call.
OBG says, “Monetary donations are greatly appreciated – we couldn’t keep this up without your incredibly generosity! Because we are an all-volunteer group with no paid staff, we have incredibly low overhead meaning most of your money goes directly to the dogs.”