It’s the ninth day of the 12 days of Christmas!
Now that you’ve exchanged gifts with family and friends and are basking in the afterglow of the holiday season, why not play Santa to a very deserving DC area shelter or animal rescue league? Please, keep the spirit of giving going by donating goods or cash to help with their wonderful work saving and bettering the lives of homeless, abused and abandoned animals.
We’d like to introduce you to The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria, located in Alexandria, VA and serving the metro DC area. You may recognize AWLA from our weekly Shelter Sunday features.
About The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria: The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria is an independent, local, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and recognized by Charity Navigator as a Four Star Charity. Operating the Vola Lawson Animal Shelter, an open-admission facility and Alexandria’s only animal shelter, the League provides a safe haven for more than 3,500 animals every year, including stray and lost pets, local wildlife, rescue animals, and pets surrendered by their owners. Serving the metropolitan Washington community since 1946, the League has contracted with the City of Alexandria to provide animal care, animal control, and sheltering services since 1989. The League receives only one-third of its operating budget from the City of Alexandria, and relies on the generosity of donors for the majority of its funding. Through pet adoptions, spay and neuter assistance, behavior and training consultations, humane education, and community outreach, the League aims to create a more humane world for all creatures, great and small. The AWLA is committed to ending animal homelessness, promoting animal welfare, and serving as an educational resource for the community.
The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria is recognized as a Four Star Charity by Charity Navigator, the nation’s premier independent evaluator of nonprofit organizations. Receiving four out of a possible four stars indicates the League adheres to good governance and operates in a fiscally responsible manner. Donors can give to the League with confidence and know their hard-earned dollars are directly supporting Alexandria’s homeless animals.
AWLA needs the following donations:
- Machine washable blankets and comforters (new or used, twin-, full-, queen-size)
- Kong or Kong-like dog toys (must be durable)
- Hot dogs (for dog training)
- Peanut butter (for stuffing Kong dog toys)
- Pig’s ears, bully sticks & rawhides (those manufactured in US usually are processed with fewer chemicals)
- Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance dog food rolls
- Liver treats and other high-quality training treats
- Esbilac formula for puppies (preferably cans)
- Puppy nursing bottle kits
- Kuranda dog beds (order online at www.kuranda.com)
- Martingale collars (petite, small, medium, large, extra-large)
- Wafer ice cream cones (flat-bottom)
- Chicken or beef broth
- Grain-free, canned cat food
- Bath mats (all types, new or used)
- Kitty beds (preferably of one-piece construction, machine washable)
- Machine washable or dishwasher-safe cat toys
- Ping pong balls
- KMR formula for kittens (preferably cans)
- Kitten nursing bottle kits
- Kuranda cat beds (order online at www.kuranda.com)
- Chicken/Turkey baby food (can’t contain onion/onion powder)
- Dehydrated chicken, turkey, or fish treats
- Polar fleece blankets or Snuggies
For Small Animals:
- Chewable or machine washable/dishwasher-safe rabbit toys (order online at www.busybunny.com, www.bunnybytes.com, www.bunnyluv.com, and www.bunnybunchboutique.com)
- All sizes of bird toys and all sizes of manzanita wood, rope, or sisal perches (order online at www.exoticreations.com, www.theperchstore.net, www.drsfostersmith.com, www.superparrots.com, www.greyfeather.com, and www.birdieboutique.com)
- Hay (order online at www.oxbowanimalhealth.com and www.bunnybale.com)
- Carefresh litter for our small animals
- Small animal water bottles (preferably glass) and holders (preferably guinea pig-sized)
- Millet sprays for birds
- Ferret hammocks and sleep sacks
- Comfort Wheel, Silent Spinner or similar (for hamsters, gerbils, and mice)
- Small animal treats (preferably low-sugar options like seeds, dried fruits, and veggies)
For the Shelter:
- Wash cloths and towels (all sizes, new or used)
- Ziplock baggies (sandwich-size and gallon-size)
- Paper towels
- Dryer sheets
- Ceramic feeding dishes (all sizes)
- Ink and toner cartridges: HP 64A; HP 901; HP 12A; HP 15A; HP 05A; HP Q6470A, Q6471A, Q6472A, and Q6473A
- Black and blue pens
- Printer paper
- 8 ½ x 11 page protectors
- Primo digital kitchen scale (available at Target)
- SnuggleSafe microwaveable heat disks
- Rubbing alcohol and/or individually wrapped alcohol swab pads
- Green/red leaf lettuce, kale, parsley, carrots, apples
- Gift cards for Home Depot, Target, grocery stores, gasoline, office supply stores
- Family-friendly movies (new or used DVDs, not necessarily animal-themed, for “Movie Night” enrichment program)
- CD players (new or used) with power cord and speakers (for cat and dog relaxation)
- Canned pumpkin puree (not canned pumpkin pie mix)
- Dehydrator (for small animal treats)
- Coffee (for a hard-working staff)
Please note that what AWLA needs most are enrichment supplies and toys (especially Kong products that are durable), blankets, sheets and soft bedding (these do not have to be brand new items). Many wishlist items can be purchased via their Amazon wishlist.
Donated items can either be dropped off at the shelter, or shipped directly to the shelter at 4101 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22304. To drop off items, come by during general business hours between 11AM and 8PM on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, or between 11AM and 5PM on Saturday and Sunday. They are closed to the public on Wednesdays. Appointments are not necessary and they can issue receipts for tax purposes.
To make a monetary donation, you can donate securely online or mail your donation to The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria, 4101 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22304. Checks should be made payable to “The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria” or “AWLA.” Financial donations can also be made in person.
To donate to one of AWLA’s special funds for senior animals or animals in need of costly medical procedures, please indicate “Rosemary’s Seniors Fund” or “Sarah’s Fund” in the memo line of the check, or select the designated fund in the online donation form. More information about their special funds can be found on their site.