It’s the seventh day of the 12 days of Christmas!
Now that you’ve exchanged gifts with family and friends and are basking in the afterglow of the holiday season, why not play Santa to a very deserving DC area shelter or animal rescue league? Please, keep the spirit of giving going by donating goods or cash to help with their wonderful work saving and bettering the lives of homeless, abused and abandoned animals.
We’d like to introduce you to The Phoenix Landing Foundation, a parrot rescue and education organization that’s helped 2,197 birds to date in the DC area and NC. You may recognize Phoenix Landing Foundation from our weekly Shelter Sunday features.
About Phoenix Landing: The Phoenix Landing Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit all-volunteer organization. It was established to promote and protect the welfare of parrots, especially those with an extensive lifespan. Increasingly, these intelligent and beautiful birds are becoming household companions. Meanwhile, their native rain forests and deserts are being rapidly consumed for use by people. As guardians of our pets, and growing consumers of the land, it is our responsibility to provide care and help for parrots — both in domesticity and in the wild. Phoenix Landing provides for parrots in need and acts as advocates for those without protection.
Phoenix Landing needs the following donations:
- New/unused bird toys (all types and sizes)
- Perches (rope, sisal, Boing, wood, cholla, manzanita, etc.)
- Harrison’s or TOPS brand bird pellets
- Gift cards to grocery stores (to purchase perishable food like fruit and vegetables for the birds)
- Full spectrum light bulbs and fixtures (especially OTT brand)
- Airfare sponsorship for visiting guest speakers (direct purchase or using frequent flier miles)
- Items to auction during their events (MD, VA and NC only; e-mail email@example.com to arrange auction items)
- Printing support for class materials, banners, brochures, business cards, signs, etc.
- Cages (clean and in good condition)
- Cash donations
Donated items can be sent to Phoenix Landing Foundation, P.O. Box 1233, Asheville, NC 28802.
To make a monetary donation, donate securely online via PayPal by clicking the purple DONATE TO HELP PARROTS button on the Phoenix Landing site or send by mail to Phoenix Landing Foundation, P.O. Box 1233, Asheville, NC 28802.
Phoenix Landing also offers a Membership Program ranging from $25-$1000. Each level of membership includes perks such as calendars, t-shirts and other goods. More information about the program can be found on the Phoenix Landing site.