A guinea pig is one of the cutest and most adorable creatures a pet lover could have.
They are affectionate and loving once you get to earn their trust. They may have familiar names, these animals don’t belong in the pig family, nor are they from Guinea. Here are some of the fun and fascinating facts about guinea pigs.
1. Guinea pigs originated in South America specifically from the Andes Mountains. They are not pigs and they did not come from New Guinea.
2. The male guinea pig is called “boar” and the female guinea pig is “sow”.
3. Guinea pigs love to eat! They love to drink lots of water too.
4. Guinea pigs are fast and alert.
5. These cute little creatures love attention and craze daily interaction with their owners.
6. You can tell that a guinea pig is glad because they make cute sounds.
7. A guinea pig needs to drink water most of the time.
8. They love the company of others and even humans.
9. Guinea pigs are really very easy to take care of because they are not wild and not afraid of people.
10. Guinea pigs come from the country of “Guyana” in south Africa. That is why they are called “guinea’ pigs. Many believe that this is a mispronunciation of the Guyana name.
11. Guinea pig cannot produce their own Vitamin C.
12. Guinea pigs relax by adopting a stretched out posture.
13. Guinea pigs can run when they are just three hours old.
14. The oldest Guinea pig on record was 15 years old.
15. Their teeth are constantly growing so it’s important for them to chew to wear them down.
16. Guinea pigs were first introduced as exotic pets.
17. Although guinea pigs cannot jump, they like to “popcorn.” Popcorning occurs when guinea pigs get excited. They often jump about a few inches in the air. They also run around in circles.
18. Unlike most rodents, guinea pigs are born with their eyes open and with a full coat of fur.
19. After its cage has been thoroughly cleaned, a guinea pig usually urinates and drag the lower body across the floor of the cage to mark its territory.
20. Guinea pigs don’t have visible tails.