We bring a lot of extra items into our homes over the holidays. Some of those items can create severe problems for pet parents, however, because they’re not only enticing to pets but poisonous to them as well.
What are some of the biggest culprits? Tinsel is a big one. Cats just love to chew on it–but they can’t pass it normally. This means that tinsel can ultimately start causing some severe, fatal internal injuries. It’s beautiful, but if you have a cat then you should perhaps opt for garlands instead.
Just about all of the traditional holiday plants create a poison risk. Consider buying artificial versions of holly, mistletoe and poinsettias if you have pets. Besides, you can use the artificial versions next year!
Finally, you need to keep an eye on all those great holiday treats. Alcohol and chocolate are threats to more than your waistline this holiday season. If you have small children, be especially vigilant on Christmas Day–it’s very easy for kids to get distracted. If they do, they might leave candy on the floor where it will be easy for a pet to snap it up. It may not be a bad idea to put pets in a safe room by themselves while holiday stockings are being emptied and enjoyed. You can always let them back out again after you’ve done a bit of cleaning.
Finally, be sure to keep the Animal Poison Control Hotline number nearby and ready in case something goes wrong. Sometimes things happen, even in the most conscientious households. The number is 800-213-6680.
Happy holidays, peeps! Let’s make them safe ones!